What is an Employment MAP?
MAP stands for Making Action Plans. The Map meeting is a way to get your employment board together and organized. At the end of the meeting you will have a self-directed action plan that will guide you in achieving your employment goal. The meeting will take bout two and a half hours. Two guides will facilitate and record the meeting events on a large sheet of paper that will be left with you to follow.
What is the Purpose of Doing the MAP?
In order to get the most out of the time you have, it is helpful if you come up with a short statement as to what you want out a of an employment map.
- If you already have a employment goal write it down and use it in the invitation.
- If you know you want to work and what help deciding what you are good at make that into the statement.
- If you have a great idea for a micro-enterprise and need help getting it going. Write a short statement and use it to invite people to the meeting.
By doing this the people you invite can be thinking ahead of time about how they can help with your employment goal, and you meeting will be more productive.
Who Should Be Invited?
It is important that the people you invite know why they have been chosen to attend. Make a list of whom you would like to invite and why you would like them to attend. You should think about the people who you will need to be successful in your vocational goal such as:
- Your family
- People who will be with you on a day-to-day basic while you are working.
- Anyone who is helping you with your vocational Goal, paid and unpaid. This could include a job developer, job coach, vocational rehabilitation counselor, case manager, Occupational Therapist, Physical Therapist, Independent Support Coordinator.
- People who work in the field you are wanting to work in.
- Supportive friends.
- People that you trust their opinion.
How to invite people?
A good invitation comes from you, the focus person, if possible.
The people you invite should be told a little bit about why you want them to attend. Use the statement you wrote on why you are having a vocational map, then state why you want that person to attend.
Outline for an invitation:
- I am very interested in starting my own business raising and selling flowers in the Home Town area.
- I am having a planning meeting on Monday June 5, 2011 from 2:00 – 4:30 PM .
- I would very much like you to attend because __(tell them why you want them to attend).
- I do hope that you will be able to come and help me with my vocational goal.
- We will have cake and ice cream.
- Please let me know if you will need anything to help you attend.
Things you might say to invite someone:
I want you to attend my Map because …
- I appreciate your opinion
- You excel at something I want to be good at.
- You have made a difference in my life.
- You make a contribution that inspires me to want to do more.
- You work in the field I would like to learn more about.
- I trust you.
- I think we might share a dream.
- If you have a wish for my life I would like to hear about it.
- I value your wisdom.
- You belong to a community group that i might want to join.